I suggest you ...

Provide API or additional setting to control asp.net application restart on filesystem been changed.

Here is detailed description of what happens and what can not be controlled at all - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tmarq/archive/2007/11/02/asp-net-file-change-notifications-exactly-which-files-and-directories-are-monitored.aspx

I'm running project that generates asp pages dynamicaly and then deletes unnecessary files using external tools, and sure it's not acceptable to run session start/end each time it happens. And I did not find any way to controll this process.

Thank you.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alexander VoroninAlexander Voronin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tim HallTim Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I occasionally use reflection to get access to the directory monitors and stop them so I can modify as many files as I want without restarting the appdomain.

It would be nice if asp.net was a little more intelligent (uploading a CSS, jpg or zip file etc is no reason to restart). I also set the recompile attribute in web config to a high number so a thousand changes are required to restart.

Even so more control would be nice (like an event that provides the reason and we can say not now, check back in x mins (or don't check back)

Feedback and Knowledge Base