I suggest you ...

Proposal: Replace extension methods with true member functions

Please refrain from providing more and more extension methods and revert to providing proper ASP.NET class methods.

Due to the currently overwhelming plethora of extension methods added to core classes it's utterly hard to keep track on which functionality actually is available on an object.

I can't even remember which NuGet packages I need to download because all the extension methods add to ConfigurationBuilder.

It would make much more sense to add dedicated objects and namespaces with each Nuget package and to provide proper methods on these objects rather than cluttering up the default namespaces with all kinds of extension methods.

I personally believe that providing extension methods isn't syntactical sugar. Rather it is obtrusive suffocation of default namespaces.

Having Intellisense at hand it's much easier to remember a namespace and an expressive class name than to remember each and every extension method that one or the other Nuget package may add to ASP.NET global namespace objects.

Extension methods are not at all OOD, particularly not if they don't even relate to the object they have been assigned to. On the contrary, they are reverting us back to procedural programming - back to the old COBOL days from the 1960s.

So, please, to all NuGet programmers and the ASP.NET team itself: Please refrain from providing more and more extension methods and revert to providing dedicated namespaces and dedicated classes providing their own, dedicated and conclusive set of object/class methods.

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
AxelD shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon