General ASP.NET

Announcement: This forum has been replaced by Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of ASP.NET, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The ASP.NET Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. RemoveOutputCache

Allow RemoveOutputCache to provide a key, such as VaryByCustom or VaryByHeader strings. SaaS vendors that use subdomains for each tenant, but then also need to cache pages by parameters (URLs, Routes, querystrings, etc.) have no easy way to use page output caching.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  General ASP.NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Brotli Compression

Please port the open source project to .NET and add compression middleware for ASP.NET Core: https://github.com/google/brotli.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. New ASP.NET Core Web App - Breaks when Update Nuget Packages

When I create a brand new project and go to "manage nuget packages" I see that I have 15-16 updates. I've not touched a single line of code at all whatsoever. If I update all of those nuget packages... I can no longer work with the project as it breaks and if I had written any code, all broken. I get the errors, "Cannot find runtim target for framework '.NETCoreApp, Version=v1.0' compatible with one of the target runtimes: etc." & 1. The project has not been restored or restore failed - run 'dotnet restore' & 2. The project does not…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Get current identity in aspnet core app when azure app service authentication is enabled

When using azure app service authentication with an aspnet core application, the current principal is not set like it is in .net 4.6.

Please enable this, thx.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. C# to JavaScript with AJAX, Client/Server Pure C# coding support

Prerequisite for this idea is first have C# to JavaScript conversion (I think this is already out like bridge.net). The goal is keep all code base in C# and be able to put both client and server side functionality in single class (viewmodel).

In ViewModel Class definition, use compiler directive to denote if the whole class or part of it is available in client side as well. e.g. [Available: Client|Server, Compatiblity: JavaScript]

Now, this class will work on server side just like it works now in MVC project to handle any server side activity and bindings to Razor/CSHTML code.

Plus,…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Razor: self containing attributes in htmlAttributes

When applying schema.org there are a lot of self containing attributes (attributes without a value).

for example:

<li itemprop="itemListElement" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/ListItem">

Now you have to define htmlattributes like this and add an empty string for value:
    new { @itemprop = "itemListElement", @itemscope = "", @itemtype = "http://schema.org/ListItem&quot; }

might be an area to improve...

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. make asp.net core more stable

I downloaded latest version of everything today, also a getstarted-master project only a few months old and the dotnet restore command does not work. I probably can go back to older version and try to make this work, there is also a tutorial on MVA , just a few months old and also that seems outdated somewhat already. How can you expect people to get familiar and enthusiastic about this platform if these simple things break because of changes to product in such a short time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General ASP.NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. ASP.net Textbox onKeyPress / onKeyDown / onKeyUp del key not working

ASP.net Texbox event not fired onKeyDown / onKeyUp. Delete key (keyboard code 46) not working.

Having set the onKeyDown attribute to the textbox, pressing the del key does not delete text from the textbox. Have tried the same using onKeyUp.

Backspace works, but not the Delete button keycode 46.

Please fix in future versions of ASP.NET

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Rename ASP.NET core

ASP.NET core need a rename. it is giving me a headache trying to find resources that is ASP.NET core and not ASP.NET, annoying. the best name is the one that when searched for (at the moment) in any search engine gives zero results or near zero results,thus unique.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. customizable plug-ins

to add customizable plug-ins that developers can create. Just similar to Javascript . that has so many plugins for unique uses

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Proposal: Replace extension methods with true member functions

Please refrain from providing more and more extension methods and revert to providing proper ASP.NET class methods.

Due to the currently overwhelming plethora of extension methods added to core classes it's utterly hard to keep track on which functionality actually is available on an object.

I can't even remember which NuGet packages I need to download because all the extension methods add to ConfigurationBuilder.

It would make much more sense to add dedicated objects and namespaces with each Nuget package and to provide proper methods on these objects rather than cluttering up the default namespaces with all kinds of extension…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Your Join link is not providing sign up form

When I click join, only sign in page is displayed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Project.json should manage compatibility of packages and do not allow to install incompatible packages.

We can install packages in project.json and some time it allow us to install package in system which are not compatible like the current framework do not allow it or somehow we made it then on the runtime we come to know that there is an issue with functionality.
    There should be some checks which allow to install package or dependency which are compatible.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Asp.Net Core with database first

It was very easy to work with existing databases in Asp.Net MVC 5, by just adding an Ado.Net Data Entity. Now we don't have this luxury anymore! We must add the models of an existing database by writing commands in the Visual Studio package console, and not having the option to choose with what tables, views, etc from the database we want to work (to get in out projects). Give us this luxury back on visual studio.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add a RenderEditorFor helper for performance

ASP.NET MVC's HTML Helper has both "RenderPartial" and "Partial" - the difference being RenderPartial will write directly to the output stream, but Partial will render to a string, which is then usually written to the output stream.

ASP.NET MVC also has the handy EditorFor helper which does some templating magic for form fields, however it renders to a string - there is no "RenderEditorFor" which would also write directly to the output stream for increased performance.

I could reimplement my own helper which does this, but I'd like to see an official implementation.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. ConfigureAwait(false) by default

When you don't need to have full control over your thread pool context while using the async/await pattern, it is recommended that we always use ConfigureAwait(false) for various reasons (see article: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj991977.aspx).

I find that the cases when you need control over the context are very rare.

I want to suggest that ConfigureAwait(false) is used by default when doing async/await to simplify the coding process.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  General ASP.NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Return the Single Startup and IIS Express Continue Functionality

VS 2015 E Upd 2, seems all web projects in a solution start in IIS Express now regardless of the 'Single startup project' setting. If the selected 'Single startup project' is a web app it gets stopped in IIS Express when debugging session is over and others continue to run.

I have always relied on having my IIS Express web site to run after a code debugging session so that I can say test an API via PostMan or view\test site in others browsers. I don't need all web app starting up to waste resources.

Can we bring back (fix)…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. [Bug] Rewrite all controls which depend on javascript "Date" class (like RangeValidator)

I've tried to submit a bug, but got a "You are not authorized to submit the feedback for this connection.". Great! I'm not allowed to submit a bug?.. so here it goes a "suggeston" - RangeValidator automatically creates a javascript function called "function ValidatorConvert(op, dataType, val)", which uses the Date class. At the end of this functions, it checks whether de generated date equals the input date, and when it does not, it returns null. But the behavior of the Date class is not the same across browsers (e.g. its different in ie9 and ie11) when dealing with Daylight saving…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  General ASP.NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. allow overriding of the text element behavior

I use a Razor partial view to generate some SVG content. <text> is a valid SVG element. trying to get Razor to actually spit out that element was ridiculously hard using escapes. Also, if I reformatted the document it would break those escapes because of the line breaks.

Please consider for example a directive that tells the parser not to handle <text> elements or perhaps simply detecting attributes on the element and turning off the behavior. i.e. if a <text> element has attributes, they must not want it to be a Razor multi-line content block.

Also, I have been hearing…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Redesign ASP.NET providers to be asynchronous

All providers (except InProc) work with external data sources (SQL Server, Redis, etc.). For example, when processing single HTTP request a session state store provider can make several requests to an external data source. Each request to an external data source from session state store provider blocks an ASP.NET thread, becuase System.Web.SessionStateStoreProviderBase has no async methods.
    The same is true for other providers (Output Cache Provider, Membership Provider, Profile Provider, Roles Provider). There is not much advantage in asynchronous code inside web forms or MVC controllers, if the whole ASP.NET pipeline is not asynchronous.
    Since ASP.NET supports asynchronous httpmodules, it…

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  General ASP.NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

General ASP.NET

Feedback and Knowledge Base