Have suggestions/ ideas about features?

CoreFX should include System.Net.Mail

System.Net.Mail is very popular, and I need it in CoreCLR. @Petermarcu said 'no plans' for it in CoreFX at https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/issues/1006, but I think it should be there.

570 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Luke Latham shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Luke Latham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> Have System.Net.Mail in my rc1 project. Would be nice if i dont have to rewrite the logic.

This issue isn't about using System.Net.Mail with .NET Framework apps. It's about porting System.Net.Mail for availability in Core CLR projects. I doubt porting the lib will affect your app much if you're sticking with the .NET Framework; but since the lib might get reorganized with some changes, it is possible.

This has been marked by the CoreFX team as "Future." According to the most recent roadmap at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2016/07/15/net-core-roadmap/, it looks like the wait for this would be another perhaps six months (Q1/Q2 of 2017).

• Sidharth Nabar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something that is on our backlog and is planned to be supported. We are still working on previously planned namespaces such as System.Net.Sockets, System.Net.Security and others, which System.Net.Mail will likely depend on anyway. As Luke pointed out, this is tracked by a GitHub issue and there are proposals for temporary stopgap solutions as well as discussion for why adding this support to .NET Core will not be very quick/straightforward for us.

If this is something you would be interested in contributing to, please reach out to us on the GitHub repo: https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/issues/1006

Thanks
        Sid

I posted workaround code to tide folks over for CoreCLR. See: https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/issues/1006 for three samples (non-production quality, but you'll get the drift) for open connections (port 25) and secure connections [port 465 (e.g., GoDaddy) and port 587 (e.g, Gmail)].

@SidharthNabar said, "it will be challenging to move System.Net.Mail to CoreCLR since it has dependencies on the old managed networking stack (e.g. ServicePointManager) that is not yet supported in .NET Core." Looking into the source, you can see what a feat of engineering System.Net.Mail is ... but also how complex and large the codebase is. It's kind of not surprising that this one is going to take a little while to port over.

• Dan Siegel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is insane that the ASP.Net 5 template ships with support for Individual User Accounts, and even includes a service interface IEmailSender, and the project template ships out of box supporting the full Dot Net Framework and CoreCLR... yet there is still no way to support CoreCLR in our projects while actually implementing some way of sending emails. I'm not saying this needs to be directly in the Core, there are a lot of applications that won't need it, but it should at least be available as a NuGet package I can bring into my project.

• Ari Ugwu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Big part of line of business apps is sending mail. Love the idea of "write once" middle ware with the CoreCLR and this is a huge piece. Respect and appreciate the challenge of this.

Fortunately, they said they are working on it. They just haven't gotten around to marking this UserVoice suggestion as "planned."

• Nicholas Pateman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree, I've had to bodge an SMTP client into my code. Servers *need* this functionality and it would be incomplete without it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base