Show me how with code

Announcement: This forum has been replaced by Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve the ASP.NET documentation, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The ASP.NET Documentation Team

Help the documentation team understand which areas of ASP.NET and Tooling need better help topics

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Event Calendar for MVC5

At present the only code that attempts to accomplish this below does not work?

http://www.tuicool.com/articles/6byERf

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. mutiple scaffolding templates per project

Hi
    the current scaffolding implementation restrict scaffolding to generators implementing ICodeGenerator
    which are controller and view

paths and folders are strongly typed in Microsoft.Framework.CodeGenerators.Mvc\Constants.cs

this implementation is sufficient when I only need a single template for controller and view
    however if i need multiple templates per project I will have to create a separate project to extend ICodeGenerator for new templates and reference them in my web project

the implementation in previous mvc was folder structure based for defining new templates in customization
    I used to add folders to Templates folder in my project and they would come up in…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. How to implement membership in azure database

It'd be great if a detailed tutorial of how to implement membership is added, covering best practices and recommendations since as far as I know, there are many features that azure does not support at the moment.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Rick Anderson responded

Can you be more specific. What would you like added to my Deploy a Secure ASP.NET MVC 5 app with Membership, OAuth, and SQL Database to an Azure Website tutorial?

6. Pls provide a snippet of code on how is possible to extract specific propertie from a claim in the code behind (Homecontroller) usin ACS

I followed the article at http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/active-directory-dotnet-how-to-use-access-control/ to the lettre, which successfully executes and displays correctly but it does not indicate how to get specific information from the claim such as the nameidentifier or the email. I tried several syntx to get propertie or values for nameidentifier and others but everytime getting a different runtime or compile errors.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Document best practice for MVC 6.X server and client side validation.

Thank you for your tutorial series Rick I learned lots. In your Movie tutorial, Part 10 Validation, you say to keep things DRY. The example is for a single form-by-form record collection. In many instances we will want inline editing of one or more rows to achieve our targeted productivity; ie through inline table row creation/editing.
    Validation and data types are defined within a Model. It would be nice to re-use the definitions in, for example, JavaScript inline creation of a table row and know with confidence that the latest techniques/approach/libraries are being used. I follow the various papers available…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Do some research in standard domains like finance, insurance, education - their major activities - suggest technologies effectively

Do some research in standard domains like finance, insurance, education - their major activities - suggest technologies effectively.
    For example: In case of stock price, which is more real-time - can we have more SignalR integrated... or similarly long forms of data in insurance.. do you suggest Asp.net or quite independent activities on a web page -prefer MVC...etc

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Overriding custom global filters

From time to time, I need to override a specific global filter (usually on controller level) for a particular action. As far as I know, there is no elegant way to accomplish this task.

By the way, I know there are some override attributes for some standard ASP.NET MVC types like OverrideActionFilters but I need a generic one to use for my own custom written filters.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Bulk Attendance

It is very difficult to find demos on single parent with multiple child records. For example, a form that collects family information and then adds several family members in a single form. Another would be to add attendances (in Contoso University) for each class as a single form bulk insert for each student. (taking roll).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Full fledged MVC Application with Test Project with Visual Studio Testing Tools and the standard conventions to be followed.

I searched a lot but could not find an MVC App with Test Project with Test Cases for all PL, BL and DL can you please provide the same to have reference of standard conventions to be followed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. ASP.NET MVC 5.2 Attribute routing improvements and Internationalization of routes

Attribute routing improvements that come with ver 5.2 are exciting. I've tried it with internationalization structure described in Nadeem Afana's post http://afana.me/post/aspnet-mvc-internationalization.aspx by aplying a route prefix on base class with InheritedRouteAttribute but wasn't able to succed.
    Something on base class definition like this:
    [InheritedRoute("{culture}")]

I wasn't able to make run example provided in here either:
    http://www.asp.net/mvc/overview/releases/whats-new-in-aspnet-mvc-52

Can someone provide a better example code for such case.

Thank you

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. how to show millions of records in table with paging

I have a database with millions of rows and i want to show these records in table with asp buttons

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Rick Anderson responded

Paging has been requested, you might want to find the top paging request and vote for it.

15. Why Code First Model instead of Database First

Creating tables and refreshing the EDMX is straight forward. Creating table load scripts also is straight forward.

For these reasons I do not see the advantages o Code First and the need to learn the additional syntax to seed he tables.

The main advantages I see, is unlike Database, First the data annotations can be done when the class (tables) are defined in Entity Frame work.

I would like to see an article of pros and cons
    I would like to see an article explaining the advantages.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. ODataMediaTypeFormatters Samples

It would be nice to have samples on how to use ODataMediaTypeFormatters. For example, it would be nice to see how one should implement the following API format for OData:

config.Formatters.JsonFormatter.SerializerSettings = new JsonSerializerSettings {NullValueHandling = NullValueHandling.Ignore};

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Multiple Connection Factories

Can you create na article that shows how to use Entity Framework Code First and Asp.Net Identity / User roles with SQL Server Compact, SQL Server and MySql simultaneously (in same application) with separared logic?

I'm thinking about use SQL Server Compact to store the users, the SQL Server to store general data for webservices and MySql to store documents (memorandum / html codes / xml tables), images (png / jpeg only) and files (pdf / doc / xls only).

It will cover at least DataAnnotations, EF6, Code First, Fluent API, users management with Identity, blob storage, file upload and…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. add minimum requirements for everything

add minimum requirements for everything on the "home page" of each product, such as web api... PLEASE!!

especially, which versions of visual studio are required - including express! - which version of .net, etc., etc.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Configure Anti Malware using Azure Management API

Can we have an C# example which is used to Set / Get Configuration for Anti malware Settings on Windows Azure?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. How to create a complex OAuth application with EF DB First

Would be nice to have a complex app, like the MusicStore, but with Simple Authentication splitted in model layer and app layer, with OAuth, Model First db or Code First all that can be usefull for a bit more complex app.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Show me how with code

Feedback and Knowledge Base