Show me how with code

Announcement: This forum has been replaced by Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve the ASP.NET documentation, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The ASP.NET Documentation Team

Help the documentation team understand which areas of ASP.NET and Tooling need better help topics

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Good patterns and practices using customErrors, httpErrors and ASP.NET Health Monitoring ?

Good patterns and practices using customErrors, httpErrors and ASP.NET Health Monitoring for Error Handling ASP.NET 4.5 Web Forms with full source code samples (real applications)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. MVC using SQL Stored Procedure

My company depends heavily on sql store procedures. I am just going nuts unable to find detail code covering use of true existing stored procedures that parameters that range for 1 to 10 and even tables as parameters. I have been able to used EF to import and created complex types but that is as far as I got. It will be nice to see examples NOT using linq to sql. An example that has 5 parameters entered on the screen to retrieve and display in a view. This example will almost be like Tom's but detailed step by step.…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Support for MS Unit Testing of Async and Await action methods

It is currently difficult to write and run unit tests for async and await action methods.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Windows Azure Web Job scheduled to add entries in SqlDatabase

I want to create a console application that would be used as a Web Job, that is scheduled to do some processing and insert entries in a database

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Please provide an example with Areas in the project with Login/logoff

Hi Rick,

After reading several of your excellent articles on using MVC/ASP.NET I'm still stuck with one practical issue. I cannot find much about using Areas and moreover in combination with the Login/Logout features. The links appear on every page, but (as a result of the Area-setup of my project I presume) the logout link looses its meaning, resulting in (e.g.):
    "The source cannot be found" and then pointing to an "/AreaName/Account/LogOff" which is not in the Area of course.

How do I get over that, or formulated differently: how do I use the Login technique as presented in several…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Set up Identity with EF DataBase First

I've been struggling with this the past 5 days of my life. Please make a tutorial or VS Template that doesn't involve creating projects just to generate tables, script the tables, work with two Data Context (one for Identity and one for your tables).

I love code first, but a really common scenario is to have a DB already working and then wanting to add some new stuff like Identity and then you feel like you are alone in the middle of the ocean with solutions that feel like a wooden old boat.

We need documentation on how to get…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. RDLC Reporting

I am a beginner and was trying to work with the RDLC reports. There was only one tutorial which i didn't understand. There should be a complete article explaining how to create and integrate RDLC report in application. Also need steps to take print out of the report without showing report on reportviewer. Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. how to create view in database using EF 6 Code First

there was one requirement in which we have to create view but we were using EF 6 code first . so we cant find out solution.we end up creating view in database using sql query

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Please write a tutorial on adding reports to MVC 5

At present the only report functionality I can find for MVC is MVC4 with RDLC can you add more tutorials or create one specifically for MVC 5 and so on.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. ASP.Net Web API CORS

Although there are plenty of articles available on the Internet on making CORS request, there need an authentic article on design, develop, test and deploy truly CORS enabled ASP.Net Web APIs. We have serious on this, nothing seems working at this moment.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. To upload a picture when creating a new student and display all details along with the picture

A student should be linked to an uploaded picture and displayed in the details view

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Examples that include the use of Content Placeholders. How to use Java script and other controls.

Content Placeholder seems to act like barriers to some controls functioning as expected. It would be great to see more examples that show how to use java script and other controls when content placeholders are in use. Not just FindControl, but for example, retirieving Gridview content when there are multiple Master pages and the Gridview is manually coded. Or where to actually place Java/script to get it properly execute when content placeholders are on the page and the java must be placed in side.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Data Annotations in Database first

In a Database First model the Model classes (tables) auto-generated by the EDMX – are not to be modified. There is no clear method of Data Annotations. I would like to see in one article the different methods and how to implement each method with pros and cons for each.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I have Facebook page, i want to post something in that page from my app

I have Facebook page, i want to post something in that page from my app

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Tutorial for internationalization with path urls for ASP.NET MVC 4 with ADO.NET Entity Framework 5

There is an article as pointed out to me before but I couldn't make it work as it is in MVC 5 and ADO.NET Entity Framework 6. I am looking for a detailed article walk trough on MVC 4 and ADO.NET Entity Framework 5 with path encoding of urls ex. http://xxx/en/Home
    This is quite urgent as its for a live project any help will be greatly appreciated.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. An example showing how to upload files and store meta-data into a model

An example showing how to upload a file, save the file in a sub-directory, store file meta-data to a table with things such as file name, path to the file, tags, etc. The controller/view could then sort images and show them with links for download etc.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. ASP.Net MVC5 with Owin and without using System.Web

It will be very useful if we get a Dependency injection sample for ASP.Net MVC5 with Owin and without using System.Web

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Visual Studio 2013 MVC Forms 'One Asp.net' - Single Master Page/_Layout AND calling between VC/forms

Would you please consider creating a 'how to' tutorial about 'Visual Studio 2013 MVC Forms 'One Asp.net' - Single Master Page/_Layout AND calling between VC/forms'?
    Here is a post that explains where I am:
    http://forums.asp.net/p/1976970/5659759.aspx?Re+Visual+Studio+2013+MVC+Forms+One+Asp+net+Single+Master+Page+_Layout+

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Tutorial on Image Upload form to email

Best way to have a form on your website that allows the visitor to upload an image file and add some contact fields - name etc - then once submit button is clicked sends information to an email.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Simple WCF REST service for Azure

The proposal is to create a simple and short tutorial that walks the user through the steps to create one simple REST service with WCF that has one simple method that takes a string and integer, and returns them concatenated as a string, then show how to deploy that service, and how to hit the method from a Web browser.

These few steps are key to anyone standing up a REST service, and currently there is nothing that addresses that need.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Rick Anderson responded

We do this through Web API now, there are plenty of tutorials showing that with Web API

Show me how with code

Feedback and Knowledge Base