Show me how with code

Announcement: This forum has been replaced by Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve the ASP.NET documentation, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The ASP.NET Documentation Team

Help the documentation team understand which areas of ASP.NET and Tooling need better help topics

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Windows Azure Web Job tracing

I would like to see the options at hand to do tracing/logging in a web job. That will probably be related to the diagnostics settings available for its website.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Mvc 5 multi language pages

Add multi language options in the mvc 5 tutorials, maybe it could be added at the end for the Contoso university tutorial

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Rick Anderson responded

Do you mean translate the tutorials into multiple languages or show how to code for non-english?

3. Custom Primary Key for MySQL storage provider with Identity 2.2.1

I went through this link http://www.asp.net/identity/overview/extensibility/implementing-a-custom-mysql-aspnet-identity-storage-provider

and implemented MySQL with Identity 2.2.1. However, there is no tutorial on how to customize user classes or changing primary key from GUID to INT for MySQL. This link - http://www.asp.net/identity/overview/extensibility/change-primary-key-for-users-in-aspnet-identity

falls short as it focuses on SQL server implementation

More details: https://forums.asp.net/p/2062668/5950477.aspx?Re+How+to+change+primary+key+for+Identity+with+MySQL+as+storage+provider

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Samples that integrate master pages

On many occasions I have discovered samples and even videos that present excellent content and functionality of ASP technologies. What I later find out is that the solutino or samples were not implemented, for example in some cases, with the use of a master page, or master page within a master page. And in order to get anything to work from the sample multi layers of control searches are required. I'm not sure how to over come this but perhaps some brain-storming would reveal some method to clearly understand that a sample project or video is not intend for use…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Applying ODataQueryOptions from DTO to other Tables

I would like to Send DTO which consist of summarized data from 4 tables. This DTO is searchable/sortable and pageable. How can i transfer the filter to actual columns in different table using ODataQueryOptions ?

simpler example would be to display Order summary DTO, which consist of column from Order & Order Details Table as well as sum aggregated values.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Update the Web API samples and add missing samples

1) http://www.asp.net/web-api: some samples are outdated and all ignore VB.NET. For beginners, the samples are confusing. It is unclear what NuGets to install when. Contacts sample can't be loaded in VS.2013.
    2) Provide VB.NET samples (where is Roslyn when you need it?)
    3) not everybody uses a database. Show how to create a self-hosted REST Server with
    a) an in-memory singleton object graph, that gets loaded from disc at startup time and saved to disc when shutdown. All clients access same in-memory data.
    b) how to access in-memory object graph using REST and OData at the same time.
    4)…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Execution Strategies, Connection Resiliency & Command Interception samples with SQL Server

- Sample with Entity Framework 6+ in Connection Resiliency.
    - How to create a logger and how to read it intercepted commands to database.
    - When to use execution strategies
    No Azure!!!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Would like to see some real world modern app development tutorials

There are tons of things on this platform to learn. But for the sake of Developing interest in new comers there should must be a lot of real world kind of apps development tutorials like:
    1. A simple blog
    2. Some Chatting app
    3. A simple e-commerce site just for the sake of learning.

Being able to see the process of building thing that are mostly used by us is more interesting and fun to follow along.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Basic Authentication with a javascript Client signalR

Hello,

I'd like an example to how a Signalr javascript client can connect with a basic authentication ?

I didn't find any example about a javascript client.

In the siganlR server :

var listener = (HttpListener)app.Properties["System.Net.HttpListener"];
    listener.AuthenticationSchemes = AuthenticationSchemes.Basic;

var authoriser = new Authoriser();
    GlobalHost.HubPipeline.AddModule(new AuthorizeModule(authorize, authorize));

And in the javascript client :

$.connection.hub.url = "http://localhost/signalr";
    var hub = $.connection.signalr;

but with this "include"
    <script src="http://localhost/signalr/hubs"></script>
    The Server send me a Prompt to login password

But I'd like to send my own login password with a <input> for example...

Thanks !

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Tutorial on complete instructions for a FULL grunt-bower-yeoman web project initiation and dependency injection

First, let me explain why this is SO important. The cool kids, like myself (not really) are able to spin up a project folder through command line and with the integration of Grunt Bower and Yeoman are able to have a complete web project built from the ground up. So, I am currently able to define that I would like Foundation or Bootstrap, font-awesome, jshint, pre-process css for SASS/SCSS or Less and concantinate and minify my entire project... All like magic. With a flip of the switch all that goes on. If I update my bower to include a new…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Extending Azure Active Directory User profile and relating it to entities

Show an example of adding application specific data via entity framework to an Azure Active Directory User and how to relate a user to other entities in the application.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. user management in MVC 5 simple and complete example owin or katana

there is not a single code on web which can implement user management in easy to understand way using new micorsoft technology from the scratch using empty mvc5 template

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Asp.net identity oauth 2.0 custom provider

how can I enables users to log in using OAuth 2.0 with credentials from baidu or other 'uncommon' providers? I have read this link http://www.asp.net/mvc/overview/security/create-an-aspnet-mvc-5-app-with-facebook-and-google-oauth2-and-openid-sign-on#fb, but I dont know how to do. Could you provide a sample code to me? Thx!!!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. MVC View Models instead of ViewBag

I think it would be an excellent idea if (a) you removed the tutorials teaching the use of VIewBag for things that really should be done by means of a View Model, and (b) to comprehensively teach the use of ViewModels in MVC and ways to think about constructing ViewModels. There are a lot of gotchas and subtleties involved. Here is a specific example (among many other possibilities): if I want to put some Select Lists in Html.BeginForm to filter model content shown in the table, I _should_ have a View Model defined that contains both the Model, the Select…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Customizing authentication process in Identity ASP.NET MVC 5.

I want to customize the Identity of ASP.NET and want to merge with my existed database and then creating user using seed method. i do not want that user sign up on my site just pre-defined credential works. With different roles. And these credential should be accesiable through web API.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Database initializers vs. database migration, and use of Configuration.Seed vs. DropCreateDatabaseAlways.Seed methods

There are few resources on these topics, I have posted some questions on SO and ASP.NET forums but didn't get any replys. I want to know in which case database initializers works: if the database schema changes from the code (i.e. property added to the entity, deleted or modified) or the database itself changes (i.e. column added, deleted or modified) from the server, or if the data changes (data added, deleted or modified) and still have to use migration along with initializers to handle changes on the database schema. Also if I enabled both initializers and migration in my code,…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add 1 imporant thing to the MSDN DataTable Constraints web docs

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/st1t2c35(v=vs.100).aspx is a nice description of using constraints to enforce restrictions on the data in a DataTable. But you left out one line that would save people much grief.
    If you want del cascade to work for a related table, you have to modify the SQL Command string to include a delete for BOTH tables.

For example:
    This code sets up the relation, as described in the article:

ForeignKeyConstraint myFKeyConstraint;
    myFKeyConstraint = new ForeignKeyConstraint("Prod-OrDet-FK",
    internalDataSet.Tables["Products"].Columns["ProductID"],
    internalDataSet.Tables["OrderDetails"].Columns["ProductID"]);
    myFKeyConstraint.DeleteRule = Rule.Cascade;
    internalDataSet.Tables["OrderDetails"].Constraints.Add(myFKeyConstraint);
    internalDataSet.EnforceConstraints = true;

But the in your DataAdapter code, I had to change this:

productDataAdapter.DeleteCommand = new SqlCommand();
    productDataAdapter.DeleteCommand.Connection =…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Great info, thanks. Note I moved this from General ASP.NET to “Show me how with Code”

18. How to show real time data on the screen using silgnalr using sql server 2008 R2

how to show real time data on the screen when sql server table data is updated or deleted the screen data automatically updated using silgnal R

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You would need a trigger on the SQL DB to do this. We’ll probably shoot for a more generic back end.

19. Tutorials on ModelDataSource

The new Model binding system in Web Forms seems to be very nice and useful. I see an additional event added to the data bound controls "CreatingModelDataSource", but there are no tutorials targeting this feature on the official site. As far as I see, using this feature requires the developers to follow a series of steps that any average developer is not aware of. Request you to get some tutorials added on this topic.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. ASP.NET Identity 2.0 Interfaces description for custom storage

There was a great article written by Tom FitzMacken on the interfaces to implement to support a custom providerfor ASP.NET Identity 1.0. It would very nice if a such tutorial for Identity 2.0 was provided since it offers very nice additional features.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Show me how with code

Feedback and Knowledge Base