Show me how with code

Announcement: This forum has been replaced by Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve the ASP.NET documentation, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The ASP.NET Documentation Team

Help the documentation team understand which areas of ASP.NET and Tooling need better help topics

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Asp.net Identity external verification with an empty project.

There was an excellent article written by Raquel Soares De Almeida that helped me understand how to use identity with an empty asp.net project. It would be nice if that project was continued to use the external logins (i.e. google, facebook), password changes, and newer features of Identity, as it actually provided information, unlike the million MVC blogs, hit a button and remove some commented code.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add user data to asp.net Identity

You gave a tutorial on "Creating an ASP.NET MVC app with auth and SQL DB and deployto Azure App Service" and I was curious how one would create the relationship between authenticated users and contacts they created? Could you show how to create parent-child relationships in this architecture? For example, have authenticated users that have contacts, and then perhaps a child of contacts called phone numbers? So one user can have multiple contacts and one contact have multiple phone numbers? I think having multiple levels could really help drive home what's going on. Thanks!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Using ASP.NET identity in Lightswitch html client

The new ASP.NET identity is a much robust alternative. But I have not seen any samples on how to use in combination with Light switch HTML Client.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Strongly needs article on "Adding MVC 5 pages to existing WebForms project using VS 2013"

Asp.net documentation/tutorials strongly needs article on "Adding MVC 5 pages to existing WebForms project using VS 2013"

Existing ones on the net are for MVC4 or earlier and for VS 2010 and earlier. There should be one for the latest MVC production release (MVC 5) and for the latest Visual Studio release (VS 2013)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Complex UI: Dynamic menu bar, views with heavy interaction (multiple forms, modals...)

Most examples on UI with Razor use the basic template included in the project. In the real world, the UI can be really complex with multiple forms in one "page" and a lot of interactivity.

I know about partial views, and in the web are few examples, but it would be really great to have an official robust example on how to achieve a complex UI on MVC with different view models interacting incluidng heavy customizing.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. asp.net MVC using create and edit events in google calender api

please provide sample code create and edit events in asp.net 4.5 mvc using google calender api

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Complete MSDN documentation this time around, please

As fantastic as the ASP.NET platform work has been over the past 5+ years, the quality of the MSDN documentation is still appalling. While I'm grateful for all the work that the team and community have done around providing a ton of blog articles and videos, if you compare the documentation available for Web API to just about any other part of the .NET Framework, the difference is night and day.

I'm referring to the ASP.NET Frameworks section of MSDN in particular: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn467680(v=vs.108).aspx
    In theory this would be the go-to place to learn the framework *in depth* - to help…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Rick Anderson responded

We no longer use MSDN for anything but reference (type information). the asp.net site is where we do this now.

8. Web based document scanning interface in asp.net mvc using c# (free API)

I want build web based document scanning interface in asp.net mvc using c# (free API). Here is the list of functionality I want to build in my web application:
    1. Scan Image
    2. Preview Image
    3. Crop Image
    4. Set height and width
    5. Save image on web server

Can anyone help me for above functionality to implement in web application.

Software requirements:
    Platform: Wndows 8 Pro 64bit
    Language: C#
    Framework: .Net Framework 4.5
    IDE: Visual Studio 2012
    Database: Sql Server 2014

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Deploy ASP.NET MVC Wep app to Azure in Visual Studio 2015 with a Azure Student subscription.

The Azure Student subscription is spanken new and not fully compatible with Visual Studio yet. Microsoft Imagine has published a guide for a work around, however this guide does not speak to databases at all. So how can one with a Dream Spark student subscription deploy and application (such at the Contoso University App) using Visual Studio to the Azure platform with a limited (very limited) Azure Student Subscription?

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please provide a tutorial/code on how to wire up requirejs + grunt-contrib-requirejs into an ASP.net 5.0 web app.

The value prop for using requirejs in applications seems great, however, I cannot find a solid tutorial which explains how to integrate it into a VS 2015 asp.net 5.0 web app.

There's a less + grunt-contrib-less example on the asp.net site, however, this hookup seems simpler than requirejs + grunt-contrib-requirejs. There are multiple blog posts out there which attempt to explain how to use requirejs with multiple page apps and MVC, however, these are slightly dated and not a step-by-step for VS 2015.

The topic seems popular based on the views on Stack Overflow:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10815454/how-does-requirejs-work-with-multiple-pages-and-partial-views

Blogs which attempt to answer…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sounds like a great tutorial, hopefully votes will support this. Thanks for providing supporting evidence.

11. Make www.asp.net content available without videos

We can't access videos from work, and reading is often much more productive than a video - especially when I need to refer back to an element of content. Can you make all the content from videos available as text and, I hope, illustrations?

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Complex forms

I have a table with columns that are foreign keys to another table. There are multiple columns with links to the same foreign key table. I want to see an example view in which on create and edit I create new rows in the foreign key table and associate them on the same page with a new created record in the table with multiple columns referencing through foreign key constraint to the one table.

Example.

MarriageForm:
    HusbandID
    WifeID
    DataOfMarriage
    ChurchName
    ChurchAddress
    PastorID

Person:
    PersonID
    FullName
    Address

Now I want a single form in a view that creates records 3 records…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. CLI Framework to build MVC Apps for Mobile / Web

Similar to Ruby Gem / Ruby on Rails or NodeJS / Yeoman - GeedyJS - AngularJS . we seen more and more Frameworks that build from a command line and a wizard help to build apps.

I think a CLI/GUI Framework to build similar MVC Apps for Mobile/Web will be great [ Perhaps Infopath on Steroids ]. Allow to automatically generate the accessors and create multiple relationship between the models like [ Has_many, Belongs_To, etc ]. Building complex models and let easily modify the generators without having to re-write same code.

Also the ability to export to any kind of…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Create Mobile App Utilizing App Services using existing using the existing "Contoso University Web Application."

I would love for you guys to do a tutorial of creating mobile app utilizing Azure App services using the existing "Contoso University Web Application." For many of us, we have existing ASP.NET MVC running on Azure Web site using Azure SQL backend. If Microsoft can show this solution, then Azure App Services is for real.

In the end we would have:
    1. Traditional MVC Web Site
    2. Mobile Apps: Windows and Android
    3. Azure App Services
    4. Azure SQL Database shared between MVC Web site and Azure App services

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Async in ASP.NET using good patterns and practices

Async in ASP.NET using good patterns and practices

Suggestions: full source code useful, complete and sample using patterns & practices about Async in ASP.NET.

Notes.

"is very hard to get fire and forget background work right in ASP.NET" referenced in

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21934937/how-can-i-set-async-true-for-all-pages

worker process can die at any time. Your background work is lost then

The Dangers of Implementing Recurring Background Tasks In ASP.NET
    http://haacked.com/archive/2011/10/16/the-dangers-of-implementing-recurring-background-tasks-in-asp-net.aspx/

Mindly notes:

Any good getting started with this topic? step by step in 10 minutes?

IMHO, better samples for minimize learning curve are real applications with full source code and good patterns and practices

Full source…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. CodedUI

Show me how to use CodedUI to test the UI of a MVC ASP.NET application and how to get the tests to cover large parts of the application.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. MVC view from 2 DataEntities with real world architecture eg BLproject, Models in separate project,etc.

This goes to the real world architecture we have to use. Whereas the Biz Logic, error handling, etc are in separate projects. When the Models Project contains the data Entities for each connection and you are working with MVC - Razor does not make it easy to work with this architecture in so much as it does not recognize the models. All the examples are plopped into a single project and this is rarely how things are really designed.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Decoupled architecture and DI with Startup.cs

Assuming I have an MVC application that has the following architecture:
    Contoso.Core (Class library holding POCOs and/or Domain Objects)
    Contoso.Data (Class library holding my EF DbContext and Generic Repository)
    Contoso.Service (Class library holding my services and business rules)
    Contoso.Web (MVC application)
    A typical scenario would be my Controllers invoking methods living in my Contoso.Service layer which in turn would return POCOs and/or Domain Objects from the Contoso.Core.

The scenario assumes that my Contoso.Web layer does not have a dependency on the Contoso.Data layer.
    In such scenario, I would like to see an article or example of how to achieve Dependency…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add more up-to-date walkthroughs and samples for VB. Please...

You don't have to look far to see the lack of support for VB on the ASP.Net site. The popularity of C# has put a major dent it what is available for folks that still want to code in VB. Would it be too much to ask for the VB team to keep up with C#?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We currently do not have VB resources. We can try harder to get the community to provide VB ports of our C# samples. Thanks for the suggestion – rick

20. real life example of parent child one to many relationships in MVC? Your example with checkboxes sucks!

real life example of parent child one to many relationships in MVC? Your example with checkboxes sucks! I need a one to many form where that the Parent is create, I can create one or more child records that don't already exist. Example, People and Addresses as a person can have several addresses. Oh the example where you pound Edit and Create into the same method and delete all the existing child records and then insert all the of existing records... doesn't cut it.

I'm on the verge of going to JAVA to do MVC because you cannot provide a…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Show me how with code

Feedback and Knowledge Base