Show me how with code

Announcement: This forum has been replaced by Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve the ASP.NET documentation, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The ASP.NET Documentation Team

Help the documentation team understand which areas of ASP.NET and Tooling need better help topics

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. MVC 4 + Razor + jQuery Date Picker + Language

I had to search a lot and spent long hours in order to solve what appears to be a simple case for a .NET programmer. What I wanted to do was to display a jQuery Date Picker using Razor syntax, but in my own local, that is Turkish. I went through most of the articles I could find on the internet, but they were either not a valid anymore or not serving the above purpose. Well, I will not go into the details of how to do things with MVC either, because my aim is simply target your attention to…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      5 comments  ·  ASP.NET MVC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • MVC Active directory integration?

I know there is a way to integrate active directory with MVC.
      which might allow some configurations in web.config file and connect some how to active directory server.
      Can some one provide in depth walk through?

16 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  General ASP.NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • asp.net identity database-first visual studio support/ sample

asp.net identity is great but it doesn't have any support for database-first configurations. Please update functionality or create a template where users can select an existing database and be able to configure identity for it. Right now, either 3rd party solutions are available or users must use code-first.

15 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • mySQL with enityt framework

We need a new tutorial to use Entity Framework with mySQL. the below tutorial is out dated since it doesn't work with VS 2013 Update 2.

here is the existing tutorial:
          www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials/security/aspnet-identity-using-mysql-storage-with-an-entityframework-mysql-provider

I want to be able to use Reverse Engineer Code First Feature in Entity Framework. so it is easy for me to update model classes from the database.

15 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Full Azure App Service authentication example (spanning Web, Mobile, API and Logic Apps)

Should have the following features:
            * Web and Mobile App use an API app for common logic
            * Web Site supports anonymous and authenticated access
            * Web and Mobile App use same user DB (shared identity and access to user specific data, e.g. favourites)
            * Logic App can post/tweet etc on behalf of previously authenticated (and consenting) user
            * All server side App types can access user data (e.g. FaceBook profile, Twitter NAme etc)

I previously posted more details here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/23abf9fb-79f2-4d91-a4f7-e5d9be49ee85/questions-about-common-web-appmobile-app-authentication?forum=azuremobile

14 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • mvc project with real globalized features with multiple language and globalized jquery validation

Start a new mvc project with multiple language on header, use resource file and validation with github jquery globalize

14 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Advanced Data Queries in MVC with Entity Framework

In all the MVC-EF tutorials I have seen, database access is very simplistic, consisting of either CRUD activities or simple navigation properties. In real-world applications, users might want to apply a number of different filter conditions to a single data set, or retrieve only a subset of columns from a large number of rows. Although EF supports more complex data constructs, it is not clear how to implement these in an MVC application, and there is little guidance on best practices. (Also, what are the practices to avoid?)

As an example, suppose you want to display only the classes from…

14 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • listview filtering

Hi
                  I would like if you can provide a tutorial of how we can filtering a listview depending on many dropdownlists from code behind using c# and show results depending on which dropdownlist has value , really so maby of programe dont know how to filtering listview depending on many dropdownlists

13 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Community app with user specific data displayed based on login

MVC 5 and Entity Framework 6 app that has an administration section for creating users and adding them to roles. Once a user logs in they only see data specific to their community. SignalR to check for alerts in their community and SMS functionality.

13 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Small databases

I'd like to understand the best practice for small databases. For example, say at Contoso University we know there are only going to be a few hundred or a few thousand students and courses. So all the data would comfortably fit in memory. So then is it better to use an in-memory collection and avoid potentially high-latency database operations? If so, how to periodically write the data to storage?

I am thinking of small-scale production web sites deployed to Windows Azure. Thanks.

12 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        under review  ·  Rick Anderson responded

Size is only one consideration. NoSQL often has an advantage over RDBs with large unstructured data sets. If you need relational constraints, transactions and other features not supplied by NoSQL products, then you need a relational DB.
                        I’m working on a sample of my MovieDB (intro to MVC 5) that uses Azure caching and SQL Server. We are working other samples that use NoSQL, Azure Table Storage, Blobs, etc

• Microsoft Account OAuth

Almost all tutorials use facebook and twitter for external users on the asp.net websites. Please show how to use your Microsoft accounts and access extra data, maybe even skydrive and so on. The Microsoft account api documentation is quite good for windows store apps but not for asp.net and javascript devs

11 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Highlight "Showcase" NuGet Packages for HTML/JavaScript and SPA apps

There are many great libraries available for web development. While I don't expect nor do I want all of them to be included in a project template, it would be great to have a "Featured Packages" section in NuGet to show suggestions for packages that are not included such as HTML5 Boilerplate, Knockout, Underscore and others.

11 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Azure - Can't override the connection for this context with a standard DbConnection because the original connection was an EntityConnection.

I'm trying to pulish a website, it works pefectly on my local but when i publish i get that error. I think the connection string is the problem... "Can not override the connection for this context with a standard DbConnection because the original connection was an EntityConnection."

10 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • ASP.Net MVC WebAPI using Neo4j instead of Entity

Neo4j is a scalable and flexible alternative to relational databases. It would be great to have a simple tutorial to cover basic CRUD functionality, db connection, and maybe a simple front end using Neo4j in an ASP.Net MVC Web API. Show that other databases can play nicely with ASP.Net.

10 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • How to make real time alert on dashboard when data base entity is updated by SignalR

Can we show real time alert pop up on dash board when a data base table is updated by signal r. using sql server 2008 and MVC 5.0 with entity framework

9 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  under review  ·  0 comments  ·  General ASP.NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Database migration with EF for web application on production server

Database migration of existing database with EF works well on local machine and lots of documents are available but it would nice to have document how to deploy on production server with migration would be good where clients have their own server with the existing database.

9 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • MVC Editable Master-Detail best practice example

It would be useful to have an example of building a real-world application using Master-Detail logic using MVC/EF.

Ideally it should allow for edits to the model (Master) as well as edits to the <list> property item of the model (Detail) on the same web view page.

It could include:
                                    - Best practice for building models containing <List> properties as well as Complex Type properties.
                                    - GET and POST actions in controllers for said models.
                                    - Best practice for building view forms for the above.

It would also be useful if the example could include some client-side actions like adding…

8 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Give example with secured API, including AccessToken usage

A web API that is published to Azure and has its Authentication set, must be called with an AccessToken in the header.
                                      In my experience the former JSON response from the API disappears and HTML comes in return.
                                      Please provide an example about the setting and working around this subject.

7 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • make walk through series for MVC 5 framework ,similar to the 'WingTip toys' (Getting Started with ASP.NET 4.5 ) series done for web forms.

There is an excellent tutorial called 'Getting Started with ASP.NET 4.5 Web Forms and Visual Studio 2013'. This tutorial builds an application called 'WingTip Toys'.

I would like to see one exactly like this for the MVC 5 framework using ado.net for the data access layer

7 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • asp.net mvc multilingual website

Hi believe its important with a tutorial that shows how to create a multilingual website, not using resx, but database driven (making it possible for edit text for online users).
                                          It should also include text/data shown from jQuery/Ajax calls. (no AngularJS). The multilingual website should deal with to very different languages like english vs arabic (meaning left to right and right to left oriented languages) since this provide many difficult challenges in regards to layout and mobile friendly design.

7 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Show me how with code

Feedback and Knowledge Base