Help the documentation team understand which areas of ASP.NET and Tooling need better help topics

A tutorial for setting up the basic Identity accounts, pointing them at an external SQL Server (or whatever other database you choose)

MVC5 uses Identity accounts can you provide a tutorial of how to accomplish this in Database first

37 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Raphael Fonua shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mohammed Arfath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hope its not too late to comment on this post. we have an old client-server project (Powerbuilder + MSSQL Server), for which we are now trying to build a web site. Triggers are being used on tables for audit trails, to log/save modified data into corresponding log tables. hence we require our users to login using their database logins. We are using VS 2013 and want to use MVC 5 with EF 6, DB first model with MSSQLServer 2014.

Could somebody point me to some useful resources which we could refer to achieve the same? Almost all the resources we found were using either ASP.Net Identity with a separate Db or extended user table within the main Db. Couldn't find any resources with MVC websites which authenticates users using database logins. Or, maybe we are thinking the wrong way?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are been many walkthrough examples by Rick Anderson already. Thank you. What would be more useful is more documentation on the internals and the different classes used.

How do we add our own data tables to the existing database context used for identity management, using the same programming patterns? Modern OO should be abstracted and extendable, but I have trouble trying to expand from the standard template without first having to understand tons and tons of undocumented classes.

• David Dulac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Raphael, my present work has me working with VS2013 Update 2 for ASP.NET MVC 5 access. While my project will not likely use OAuth for external registration, it does already have a users table populated in an external SQL 2008 database.

I've been running over the tutorials and have yet to find a tutorial as suggested "setting up the basic identity accounts, pointing them at an external SQL Server". The existing tutorials that suggest how to work with MVC 5, identity, and roles all require Azure be setup. This leaves those not familiar, willing, or able to use Azure trying to sort out how to accomplish the same instructions without Azure.

Thank you for the effort on producing tutorials, I value your work and appreciate the mentorship.

Regards,
    David

• Raphael Fonua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your work is very important for new programmers like me. It is complete, and easy to understand Thank you very much.

Regards

Raphael

Feedback and Knowledge Base