Help the documentation team understand which areas of ASP.NET and Tooling need better help topics

ViewModel Complex Tutorial

My Complex Forms suggestion for an article is really addressed by a comprehensive including complex scenarios like I wanted in the previous suggestion article on ViewModels. The Complex Forms suggestions can basically be addressed by ViewModels. However I cant find any good articles with step by step instructions and explanations like I found like this series for ASP.NET MVC4 with Entity Framework 5.0 which is VS2012 defaults:
http://www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials/getting-started-with-ef-5-using-mvc-4/creating-an-entity-framework-data-model-for-an-asp-net-mvc-application

45 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Akshay Srinivasan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Rick, Where does one request the VM best practices sample code? Thanks.

• djones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for all your great stuff its really is a help. I am at a stage now where my application development has halted because I don't know how MVC handles collections of complex objects all brought together using a viewmodel. I can populate the viewmodel but when I post data back the viewmodel collections are always null. I've spent the last 2 days looking online to no avail. Can MVC actually use viewmodels that bring together numerous different objects and update them? A simple 1-1 mapping works fine using a viewmodel but collections seem to fail. Any help in this direction would be (selfishly) most appreciated!

• JoseJones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really helpful. The latest EF6 & MVC5 Tuts are great, but using these as a jumping off point to build my first 'real' project I find there is so much more I need to understand about viewModels, many-to-many, fluent api, etc. to accomplish half of what I need for this web app to actually be functional. It would be great to really go through start to finish (and in-depth) a full site using the the latest best practices for MVC5 & EF, etc.

Feedback and Knowledge Base