WCF (Web Services)

Announcement: This forum has been replaced by Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of WCF Web Services, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The WCF Web Services Team

How can we improve WCF?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Provide some means to use AD authentication from within a WCF service running in a container (Docker)

Provide some means to use AD authentication from within a WCF service running in a container (Docker), at present containers DONT 'join' a domain and therefore cannot use WCF service attributes that rely on AD roles or users.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support for MQTT

Add support for the MQTT protocol that is being used for many applications targeting IoT and IIoT.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add support for wildcard bindings in IIS (*.domain.com)

WCF does not currently support wildcard bindings in IIS (or anywhere else). If you try to add a WCF service to an IIS website that uses wildcard bindings, you will receive the following exception at runtime:

[UriFormatException: The protocol binding '10.0.0.17:80:*.domain.com' is not valid for 'http'. This might be because the port number is out of range.]
    System.Runtime.AsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result) +606254
    System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result) +231
    System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.OnAsyncHandlerCompletion(IAsyncResult ar) +177

I opened a case with Microsoft Support [REG:117061415893467] and they have verified that this is currently a limitation. The only workaround is to remove the wildcard binding and dedicate an entire IP address to…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. [.Net Framework 3.5]Support TLS 1.2 in WCF (net.tcp)

The .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 can support TLS 1.2 with this KB (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3154518), however the WCF is still using the default protocol (SSL 3.0/TLS 1.0), and there is no way to change it, so my question is how to suggest Microsoft Team to provide a KB for WCF to support TLS 1.2? Thank you.

More background information: We are developing application in SharePoint 2010 which cannot use .Net Framework 4.x, so we still need to use .Net Framework 3.5.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. AmqpBinding

Full duplex/request/input/output AMQP 1.0 based channel set using AMQP encoding, with service-model level AmqpBinding, as open-standards protocol replacement for proprietary NetTcp protocol/bindings. AMQP 1.0 is suitable for peer-to-peer connectivity and its feature capabilities are more than sufficient to fully replace NetTcp.

93 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ability to suppress this WCF eventlog entry HttpException - There was no channel actively listening

WCF contracts are based on interfaces, and if you remove a legacy interface from your hosted contracted, you cannot supress the error messages from entering the windows event log. I reviewed the reference source, and you can see where the event raises, but there is no option for the global.asa or web.config to handle / prevent these entries from flooding your windows event log. So you have only two choices, leave legacy APIs online and maintain them, or remove them and have your windows event log flooded with errors.

Example of this was posted on StackOverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31347526/wcf-httpexception-there-was-no-channel-actively-listening-dropping-from-window

Example Stack:

WebHost…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Run WCF on Linux

Our customer need this.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. conditional datacontract serialization

I would like to serialize my DataContract Object based on the conditional statements implemented inside the Datamembers

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Better technology for REST services

In fact, now we do not have convenient universal approach for REST services, platform looks fragmented and when you see any real application having WCF with Http binding, Data Services or Web Api, you realize that they all have serious disadvantages.

WCF over HTTP implements just old good RPC over the web and client can use only features mentioned by server side developer, plus there are tons of boilerplate code for every small feature you could need.

Data Services as of today is bad implementation of good idea - you can generate a service from EF model in 5 minutes,…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Source Code XML comments to/from WSDL Documentation

(Hope I'm in the right place for this...)

My WCF project is carefully documented with XML comments (///<summary> This method is for adding </summary ) but in order for clients to see this usage documentation, we both have to use an add-on package (WCF Extras) which requires a fair amount of web.config acrobatics. It would be nice if WCF had native support to turn those comments into "xs:documentation" elements in the WSDL on the server side and then read them back out on the client side.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Owin support

Abstract WCF from IIS and follow suit with the rest of ASP.NET

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Custom binding full control

Custom binding should allow full control over the binding configuration. For example at the moment I cannot make w secure dual channel binding that supports compression.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Processing long requests

WCF should allow processing long requests easily.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add support for Apache Thrift

The point of WCF (in my mind) is to provide a platform and protocol independent method of communication. Adding support for Apache Thrift furthers this goal.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add support for Apache Avro

The point of WCF (in my mind) is to provide a platform and protocol independent method of communication. Adding support for Apache Avro furthers this goal. I noticed that .net support for Avro just came out (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2014/04/14/microsoft-avro-library.aspx) and I hope that this does not lead into divergence instead of convergence in regard to .net interop.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Make Operation.Context work with async

Currently WCF's Operation.Context does not work when you use the async and await keywords. It would be great if this could be supported in the next version.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make a Push Notification model easy (1 client; many services)

While its technically possible, its painfully hard to implement for many reasons.

1. Attributes on the contract are static and can't be changed at run-time. So if one of the services has a different security model or a different Action or namespace, the only way to change this is to rewrite the xml before it goes out the door. (Assuming I give out the same interface to all services; notification destination.) There needs to be a better way to implement Push Notifications in a SOAP world.

2. The contract should be a little more dynamic so that push notifications can…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4

WCF (Web Services)

Feedback and Knowledge Base