Feedback on ASP.NET Web API

Allow the return type for Help samples to be specified by an Attribute

Note that this request is about the default HelpPage code that is added through Nuget, I can fix the code myself, but i'd love to see it baked into the default code (HelpPageSampleGenerator.cs):

The way the Help samples are created based off the return type of the action is cool: If i return a Person then a Person is created with some nice sample values. But most of the time, my actions return an HttpResponse, because I need to control the headers/status codes. This is obviously considered in HelpPageSampleGenerator, there is a comment:

// Do the sample generation based on formatters only if an action doesn't return an HttpResponseMessage.
// Here we cannot rely on formatters because we don't know what's in the HttpResponseMessage, it might not even use formatters.

I would love for there to be an attribute that I can apply to my Actions that the HelpPageSampleGenerator would check for. If that attribute existed then it would replace the reflected return type of that method.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Robert Fonseca-Ensor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base