ASP.NET Web API

Announcement: This forum has been replaced by Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of ASP.NET, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The ASP.NET Team

Feedback on ASP.NET Web API

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Support for stream binding and simplify upload case

Provide ability for binding to Stream property. It would be nice if I could create upload as easy as it is in MVC. Please provide out of the box suport for binding multipart/form-data or octet-stream to class with stream property.
    It would be also nice If I could bind field with base64 string to stream property.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  ASP.NET Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Pranav Rastogi responded

In ASP.NET 5, MVC and Web API are unified into MVC 6 so you can use the MVC model to bind to stream for Web API scenarios.

2. Allow customize the formatting of error messages created with Request.CreateErrorResponse()

Currently Web Api returns error messages, which look like this:

{
    "message": "Your request is invalid.",
    "modelState":
    {
    "user.UserName": ["The UserName field is required."]
    }
    }

The parameter prefixes ("user." in this case) makes it more cumbersome to consume on the client side. Field names in the error message should match exactly field names in the original request. Also "modelState" doesn't make much sense here because there is just a list of error messages, nothing more. By default, this response should look like this instead:

{
    "message": "Your request is invalid.",
    "errors":
    {
    "userName": ["The UserName field is required."]
    } …

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Daniel Roth responded

The CreateErrorResponse extension method is just a simple convenience method that provides a default formatting for sending back error information (based on the HttpError class). You can provide whatever error format you’d like by constructing your own HttpResponseMessage or IHttpActionResult.

3. Allow the return type for Help samples to be specified by an Attribute

Note that this request is about the default HelpPage code that is added through Nuget, I can fix the code myself, but i'd love to see it baked into the default code (HelpPageSampleGenerator.cs):

The way the Help samples are created based off the return type of the action is cool: If i return a Person then a Person is created with some nice sample values. But most of the time, my actions return an HttpResponse, because I need to control the headers/status codes. This is obviously considered in HelpPageSampleGenerator, there is a comment:

// Do the sample generation based on…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Can I just return a Content(string) from Asp.NET Web API?

Don't even need razor I'll just create the HTML via string builder.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  ASP.NET Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Absolutely! You can just return an HttpResponseMessage with a StringContent. When HTML be sure to set the right content type header for the response.

5. Make Web API Model Binding more like MVC Model Binding

I would be nice to be able to upload a file as part of a model to Web API like we currently can on MVC. Web API doesn't accept HttpPostedFileBase as a field type like MVC does.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Out of the box CORS support in ASP.NET Web API

Enable CORS as a feature of ASP.NET Web API. See http://enable-cors.org/ for more details on this feature.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Support OData changesets for batch/unit of work updating

When using REST services in smart clients or rich JavaScript clients, it is normal to cache changes on the client side and send multiple updates back as a batch. Being able to leverage the change sets support in OData for this would be great.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please provide some sample to learn how we can pass complex object to web api from C# code.

I am not able to find any sample where i could learn how can i pass complex object to web api. suppose there is an object 'user' with its username, emailid, and roles. now roles is a list of another object role. a user can have multiple roles. my api is not firing when i pass user object. how can we do that ?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sure, we have several samples that show how to do this. You can take a look at the Contact Manager sample (http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Contact-Manager-Web-API-0e8e373d). Or alternatively, install the latest preview of the ASP.NET and Web Tools 2012.2 release and take a look at the web APIs in the new MVC SPA template.

Basically all you need to do is add a parameter to your action method of the type you defined. The action method should probably be for POST requests (which is the default, or just prefix your method name with “Post”).

If your method is not firing like you expect then you need to make sure you are sending the right request. The default Web API route is api/{controller}/{id} where the id is optional. So if you have FooController you would send the request to api/foo. The FooController should define the action method that handles the POST

9. Allow the controller to use the Route to match a URI and get the route values.

A RESTful application is actually not supposed to make the client construct URIs. The URIs should come from the server and be entirely opaque to the client.

In this regard, it is entirely to the server to specify relationships between resources in the form of hyperlinking with URIs. It is, however, not simple at this time for a Controller to parse such URI when passed from the client in a PUT or POST method to obtain the route values that were used to create the URI, to map them to the domain layer.

The entire route parsing is hidden away…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

For any request the route data is saved on the request message and can be accessed by calling request.GetRouteData(). You can easily bind parameters in your action methods to route data by name. You can also run routing on any request by first getting the route collection from the configuration and then calling GetRouteData() on the route collection. A full request is required to run routing because routes can match based on any part of the request, not just the URI.

10. Make Web API a common component

Right now Web API is viewed as a component under AP.NET MVC. But, in my opinion, it should be available as just a common file template. The file template is available now, but still developers categorize Web API under ASP.NET MVC. Please evangelize Web API such that it will be viewed as a component under ASP.NET core.

It is just my opinion. You may correct me if I am wrong.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

ASP.NET Web API is now first-class citizen in the One ASP.NET story.

11. 13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Reference documentation for ASP.NET Web API is now available on MSDN.

14. Allow the instance of DataContractSerializer used by XmlMediaTypeFormatter to be injected/configured.

Currently, we don't really have any options for customizing the DataContractSerializer instance used to output xml. It'd be nice if we could configure/inject this without having to implement a new subtype of MediaTypeFormatter.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You can use the SetSerializer(Type, XmlObjectSerializer) method to set the serializer you want to use (note that DataContractSerializer is an XmlObjectSerializer)

15. OAuth Integeration

Integerated OAuth Authentication for Asp.net WebApi including OAuth Service Provider.

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We now support both securing Web APIs using OAuth 2.0 bearer tokens and also implementing the authorization server role through the OAuth 2.0 support in the Microsoft OWIN Components (codename “Katana”)

16. OData string transform to .NET types

Consider having the following string OData query string:

$filter=(Name eq 'bla)&$skip=5

Would be awesome if you can get the lambda function of $filter. Aswell things like skip, sort field and order, etc.

This would be useful for creating a specific AJAX handler which would filter out a dataset, create Observable data streams (Signalr), etc...

Would be cool if we can extend this parser (get the AST and override parts of the Visitor pattern applied to build an Expression).
    Why would you not satisified with only $filter -> Func<T, bool>? Well other collections like (Nhibernate) like to do filtering on a…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow HttpRequestMessage to be used with any HTTP method

The http method in HttpRequestMessage is of type HttpMethod, which means there's only 7 methods that can be used:
    * Delete
    * Get
    * Head
    * Options
    * Trace

What about other methods like those for WebDAV (PROPFIND etc.), or 'PATCH', or custom methods?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You actually can use HttpRequestMessage with any HTTP verb, including custom ones, by creating an HttpMethod using its public constructor like this:

var patch = new HttpMethod(“PATCH”);
    var request = new HttpRequestMessage(patch, uri);

18. Add support for help page generation out of the box.

I need a way to generate documentation for my WebApi like the tools that come with WCF. You shouldn't have to add so much custom code like you do now. It should be a snap to generate these pages.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Implement ResultLimit on Queryable results

Allow a way to limit returned results from a queryable method similar to the RC version.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. entity framework

I noticed that queries generated when annotating a method with Queryable which return an IQueryable<T> obtained from a EF DbSet is not parametrized when using -for example- $filter oData which scare me for two main reasons: SQL injection and performance.

It will be good if you can take this into account and include such feature as part of the final version

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The LINQ translator must ensure expressions are safe for all possible literals and either parameterize or appropriately escape constants.

From the performance perspective it’s unlikely that adjusting parameters/constants will cause a big change in performance in current versions of SQL. The server will try to auto-parameterize queries.

← Previous 1

ASP.NET Web API

Feedback and Knowledge Base