I suggest you ...

support multiple runat="server" forms in Web Forms pages

Allow for Web Forms pages to contain multiple server-side forms rather than just one. This allows for much better accessibility and usability in the pages.

174 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Damian Edwards (MSFT)AdminDamian Edwards (MSFT) (Admin, ASP.NET Future Feature Feedback) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • thornthorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Peter, I know how the current implementation of UpdatePanel works. I'm talking about changing this. Yes, the issue is all about changing the mental model. Do you often care about controls outside the panel? As for me, generally, it's quite a rare case. For example, think of side bar widgets on a blog. Do they often need to know anything about the rest of the page in order to update properly?

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thorn: The current UpdatePanel relies on there being a single form on the page. When you do a postback from an UpdatePanel all the state is sent back to the server, but only a portion is going back. This is why from an UpdatePanel event handler you can access the state of a web control that is outside the panel.

I'm not saying there's no way to do this, only that there's no way to do this with the current model. You'd have to take into consideration that some control that's in a different form would not get updated. The current mental model in WebForms apps is that all controls are in sync. With multiple forms you would have to bend that "rule".

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If my understanding of how WebForms works is correct, this feature is not possible. The reason there can only be one form on the page is that the server-side controls need the browser state information (what people typed in the form) in order to rebuild their control state. With multiple forms, only the state within those forms is sent back to the server, so on the server-side the web controls would lose data. As a workaround one would have to rely on Javascript to either do the posting or gather the rest of the state from the other forms on the page for a post; which would defeat the intended purpose.

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding this feature to Web Forms would be enormously beneficial in so many ways. It would make a HUGE difference when developing a modular system, such as a CMS. The single runat form restriction, for me, is the single most frustrating thing about Web Forms.

Feedback and Knowledge Base