I suggest you ...

Uncouple Web Forms from .NET Framework

Separate Web Forms from .NET Framework so it can be updated more often like MVC.

70 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stuart McGownStuart McGown shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Henry Cortez WuHenry Cortez Wu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, what's the status for this request?

If mvc is managed independently through microsoft.aspnet.mvc, webforms may follow similarly,.. microsoft.aspnet.webforms.

It will be managed as open source in github, decoupling it from system.web, and contains built-in support for MVP as microsoft.aspect.mvp .

During upgrade wizard from vPrevious to vNext, visual studio will migrate its best to the new namespaces/dlls, of course manual interventions may be there and is okay.

New web form templates/kits would contain best practices like viewstate off by default in web.config and enabled per page/control basis .

Lastly, webforms members in system.web will have guidance in comments to use the new namespace/dll .

I guess news/blog entries with the above would make a lot of developers using webforms very happy. As web form apps have legitimate use cases like r.a.d.

Hoping for a feedback,
        Henry Wu

• Stuart McGownStuart McGown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it true that you can't do this without breaking System.Web, so we won't be able to use WebForms with ASP.NET vNext!

Feedback and Knowledge Base