Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rabi SatterRabi Satter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tomas PetricekTomas Petricek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Rick Anderson - Thanks for taking the time to review this. I think most of the votes for this issue have been simply saying "improve F# support" in ASP.NET - no matter if the technology is (now outdated) web forms, or more recent MVC framework.

I'll happily submit a new issue, but wouldn't it make more sense to change the tags for this so that it applies to both WebForms and MVC?

• Nick LechnowskyjNick Lechnowskyj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request is a waste of time. Now that MVC is out and mature I'm not sure why anyone's creating new projects in Webforms. It's an absolute horrible and inneficient way of working with HTTP

• Ryan RileyRyan Riley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am surprised that Xamarin Studio offers this before Visual Studio. Does this mean that the limitation is entirely a support decision and that nothing actually stops the runtime from running F# projects on the server?

I think it also important to note that all ASP. NET frameworks should be supported, including MVC and Web API.

• ErikSchierboomErikSchierboom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also love to see this. Writing F# has been a great experience and I think ASP.NET applications can benefit greatly from the stuff F# brings to the table.

• Talbott CrowellTalbott Crowell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please place F# on equal footing with VB and C# for support in ASP.NET. F# is the only functional-first language in the .NET space.

• John TarboxJohn Tarbox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a Windows developer since Windows 2.0, I can honestly say that F# is one of the best things to come from Microsoft. It is time to make it a full member of the .NET family and improve the tooling and tinplating support. Choosing between VB.Net and C# for code behind is really no choice at all; F# offers a truly different alternative with substantial advantages in many use cases.

• Jack FoxJack Fox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a professional with 30 years experience in application engineering development and management, I have seen bona fide technologies and fads come and go. I am skating to where the puck is going to be. Functional languages are here to stay, and over time will gain a larger role in most areas of application development. It has not gained the attention of marketers, yet, but more and more pros know what I am talking about. F# is a superior technology that MS should be paying more attention to.

• mobmob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really love to at least have an F# web application project template. I use FubuMVC and that's all I need to get going. The F# web dev story is pretty weak compared to C# and I'd love to see that change. The web is where its at for the foreseeable future and I think 1st class support will be a key ingredient in pushing F# into the mainstream.

• Tomas PetricekTomas Petricek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an F# MVP who is interested in web programming, I would love to see this issue addressed in one way or another.

Of course, the perfect solution would be full F# support (for writing code-behind in ASP.NET Web Forms and for writing models & controllers in the ASP.NET MVC framework and also as a language supported by the Razor engine).

This should not be too much work, but I can imagine that the F# community does not need all of those. For example, the MVC model fits more naturally with functional languages, so I find supporting F# in ASP.NET MVC more important than WebForms. Moreover, I'm happy to write C# code in the Razor view code (although F# would be very nice there).

So, having at least an ASP.NET MVC project template that uses F# for writing model & controller components would be a huge step forward and I think it would enable most of the scenarios - such as integrating awesome F# data access features like F# 3.0 type providers in web applications.

Feedback and Knowledge Base