I suggest you ...

Bring WebPages into the One ASP.NET family

The marketing literature includes ASP.NET Web Pages (WebMatrix) as part of the family but it is pretty obvious that it is missing from the tooling. We have made a significant code investment in Web Pages since we started with WebMatrix a few years ago and we love the rapid development this facilitates.

We no longer use the WebMatrix tool and simply use VS 2013 and NuGet packages. We still use WebMatrix.Data and the Conery's Massive ORM for data access.

Now we are entering a new dev phase where we want to begin using MVC and WebAPI and are confused about how to add these to our existing project. Is this even possible?

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rick TuttleRick Tuttle shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rick TuttleRick Tuttle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As you review this, I suppose the feature request that is embedded in my larger question is to include support for WebPages in a One ASP.NET project. There is no checkbox in the tooling options currently as you have to create a different kind of project (Website). Maybe you could add some "design by convention" and if you have a _PageStart.cshtml, _SiteLayout.cshtml, etc. then any .cshtml pages that are true WebPages and not MVC View could make use of those and coexist in the same project.

Feedback and Knowledge Base