I suggest you ...

ASP.NET Identity membership DB Tool to mangage users, roles needed

A simple user interface tool is needed to create and manage Users and Roles with ASP.NET Identity. Please port the ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool ( http://www.asp.net/web-forms/tutorials/deployment/deploying-web-site-projects/users-and-roles-on-the-production-website-cs ) to work with the new ASP.NET Identity membership DB

309 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joe SmithJoe Smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • subscisubsci commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was an early adopter of asp.identity v1 because of the OAuth and social network login support. It was an ugly tradeoff because so many features were missing in Identity v1 compared to SqlMembership and role providers. I agree wholeheartedly with tmartin's comments. I expect the best in developer tools from Microsoft (even though Microsoft was not always the best in this regard). So please help with productivity enhancing tools.

• tmartintmartin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of us don't have time to check out community releases etc. Therefore when working, time saving tools like the Membership manger tool in Visual Studio is suddenly not there it hurts efforts to stay on schedule in a high pressure environment. Although it has been some time since Identity was incorporated into Visual Studio the lack of a tool and horrible quality of the mere crumbs of documentation and instructional material on the web have made it a painful slog. It's hard to feel joyful about a superior product when the learning curve is a cliff face. I think it works a bit better out of the box than Membership but an easy integrated tool would help tremendously to mollify us code monkeys and therefore eventually the corporate higher ups when we can stay on track and don't have to explain about resource diversion to figuring out how to get something to work that (in the user view of things) wasn't broken.

Feedback and Knowledge Base