I suggest you ...

New membership provider interface supporting redirection-based login

OpenID, ADFS, and other redirection-based login protocols don't fit the membership provider interface at all. Please add an interface that can be implemented by an OpenID library decently.

685 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    blog.nerdbank.netblog.nerdbank.net shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Aaron WellsAaron Wells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new default should be an OpenID/Federated model, and there should be an MVC controller template that implements OpenAuth. Decoupling the authentication provider just makes more sense today. The membership provider is so 2002.

• Shan McArthurShan McArthur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Erik, none of these options work with the standard ASP.NET membership provider. They are razor and MVC only, and do not improve the ASP.NET membership model at all. The only thing they do is make it a little easier to build your own membership store. They don't make it easier for implementing off-site authentication or federated authentication. As requested by all the other comments, the membership contract needs a significant rework.

• Erik PorterAdminErik Porter (ASP.NET PM, ASP.NET Future Feature Feedback) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure I can mark this one as done or in progress or planned, but we do have some new providers that change everything so we can do these types of things.

In January, we shipped ASP.NET Web Pages and Razor v1. In it was a new feature called SimpleMembership that changed the structure for membership to allow for future types of authentication to be added.

In September, we released the v2 Developer Preview of Web Pages and Razor with added support to SimpleMembership for OAuth (1 and 2) and OpenID.

In our next update we will be adding support for SimpleMembership into MVC 4 and Web Forms vNext.

Check out SimpleMembership and see if it fits your needs.

Thanks everyone. We hear you!

• William E. Triest IIIWilliam E. Triest III commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to second this thought; in my case we use shibboleth, but it's the same idea as the ones listed above where it does not fit well with the current membership provider.

• Eugene AgafonovEugene Agafonov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, membership provider contract should be completely redesigned, as well as providers infrastructure itself.

• Peter KellnerPeter Kellner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should have sqlserver implementation that supports LINQ2SQL and/or EF without stored procedures. I carry my own ado.net implementation around with me that is getting more and more outdated. +1 on OpenID implementation friendly.

Feedback and Knowledge Base