I suggest you ...

Allow me to store my Visual Studio preferences as separate profiles in the cloud

Store all of my settings associated with my LiveID or OpenID, and let me easily pick between for example my desktop, laptop, presenter, etc. settings. If I walk up to a friend's machine, I should be able to grab my settings from the cloud and when I'm done, he can revert to his, with minimal effort.

316 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ssmithssmith shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DaverDaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've noticed that my layout changes constantly because the settings are stored in source control. It would be nice to have a local preference file that would override anything in source control.

Also, It would be nice to be able have option to have window layout preferences to chose window layout for design time and run time. Or to be able to save and name window layout preferences. This way, you can work on a Surface Pro and chose a window layout, then go home or work and use a different layout.

• Charles BrownCharles Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a consultant that moves from company to company every 3 months, this would be very useful but I would rather see it extended to an entire toolset so I don't have to reinstall Visual Studio everytime. VS2012 from a usb?

• Jaap TaalJaap Taal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would also be really helpful if you could persist some of the settings to a file which can be added to version control... jslint, chirpy web workbench etc. Really lacking

• ssmithssmith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having to set up Live Mesh on a peer's computer to get to my settings is less-than-ideal (read: it's not going to happen). Also, don't neglect the value this has to Microsoft in that it allows them to see what the most popular settings are for Visual Studio's options, so they can use that to determine defaults or user profiles for future versions.

• Kevin IsomKevin Isom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously? Votes for this? This can be done without much trouble at all. There are bigger fish to fry folks

• Cat ChenCat Chen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Visual Studio should store profiles in one specific directory, so we can sync it to the cloud with whatever service we use (e.g. Live Mesh).

Feedback and Knowledge Base