I suggest you ...

Speed up the aspnet_compiler.

The aspnet_compiler is slow to precompile web pages. We have a high end build server and the aspnet_compiler.exe runs and hardly uses in CPU or RAM.

Is there anything that can be done to speed up precompilation as it accounts for 50% of our total build time.

151 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joel CunninghamJoel Cunningham shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Paul LemkePaul Lemke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. Our powerful 4 core build server barely uses the CPU. SSD's helped, but not much. We have a large website total build time is 10 minutes, aspnet_compiler is 7 minutes of it.

• Nick CraverNick Craver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is by far the slowest part of building the Stack Overflow/Stack Exchange sites. aspnet_compiler currently eats 2 minutes 6 seconds out of a 3 minute 30 second build process. We have 8-12 core build servers basically sitting idle while we wait for 60% of our build to crawl along, it's honestly painful to watch.

Please fix this, or allow us to do it. Currently we can't touch the parts of the engine related to batching or parallelization.

Feedback and Knowledge Base