I suggest you ...

WebDeploy parameters support for modifying the “additional provider settings” during deployment time

This is a follow-up to a question I posted on stackoverflow @ http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15145963/using-msdeploy-parameters-to-set-the-additional-provider-settings-in-a-web-dep

It is not possible in Web Deploy 3.0 to use parameters to manipulate the "additional provider settings" during deployment time. I have a use case to modify the settings for the dbDacFx provider based on environment, such as "DropObjectsNotInSource" and "BlockOnPossibleDataLoss"

<sitemanifest>
<dbDacFx path="C:\Database.dacpac"
DropObjectsNotInSource="False"
BlockOnPossibleDataLoss="True" />
</sitemanifest>

This is not possible today, likely because the options are stored in a binary format in the attribute "MSDeploy.MSDeployProviderOptions" for the provider in the archive.xml file of the web deploy package. (This binary format appears to be a serialized instance of the Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentProviderOptions type, which is next to impossible to work with from XPath.)

A much easier way would be to just give each custom provider setting a bona fide attribute or element in the provider's XML element in archive.xml, just like the manifest file. This might enable a way to use an msdeploy setParam option of kind DeploymentObjectAttribute to modify the provider setting at deploy time. You would just need to customize the serialization logic for the Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentProviderOptions type.

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    steve-jansensteve-jansen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...