I suggest you ...

Minify scripts served by the ScriptManager

Bundling is a cool idea, but it doesn't always play nicely with the ScriptManager when used in a webforms scenario. I would like to propose the ability to set a flag on the ScriptManager that would allow it to minify the combined scripts its serving.

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark HildrethMark Hildreth shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Damian Edwards (MSFT)AdminDamian Edwards (MSFT) (Admin, ASP.NET Future Feature Feedback) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We actually added some support for the bundling system to the ScriptManager in .NET 4.5. It doesn't do the bundling itself, but rather can understand the contents of bundled scripts to ensure any duplicates are removed. The 4.5 project templates in Visual Studio 2012 use this functionality.

A change to actually allow the ScriptManager to create a bundle from the scripts you reference is a much more complex change, due to the existing composite script support and long legacy of integration with the rest of System.Web (Update Panels, Ajax controls, etc.).

Feedback and Knowledge Base