I suggest you ...

A better Web Deploy authoring experience

Make the Web Deploy authoring and packaging experience more powerful. Add editing support into VS to add custom deployment steps and control all the providers that WD supports.
There is a lot of power in Web Deploy that most developers don't use since they rely in the default build steps and don't want to go through the hassle of authoring the Web Deploy packages manually.

Ideally I want to right-click my project, choose "Add custom Web Deploy step" and do things like setup IIS bindings, create a registry key, register a certificate, set file permissions etc.

Then when I build the "package" MSBuild target (or /p:DeployOnBuild=true;DeployTarget=Package) these settings will be used.

31 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sigurdur G. GunnarssonSigurdur G. Gunnarsson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the idea. I agree that this would be pretty cool.

I’m not sure if you are aware but in VS2012 when you create a publish profile we save the file as .pubxml under Properties\PublishProfiles.

I was thinking that we could have a .pubxml editor/designer. So the idea would be that if you wanted to fine tune your publish/package process you could edit the .pubxml file in that way.

My only hesitation is that I’m not sure how many people would be interested in this. If we get a good amount of votes on this item we can do a deeper investigation on this.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when we deploy website using Web deploy 3.0 on web server Using import manager ,my questions is

Can we check below prequesites as a Validation in Web deploy wizard by writing some custom actions so that User can understand that below checks are missing on web server for example

Install .NET Framework 4.5

Install IIS 7.5 and ASP.NET

Register ASP.NET with IIS
        Connection to Database server and weather database is Present on database serevr and Proper permission for select User for that database.

Is it possible in Web deploy to make such customization ?

if yes then please help me to find any document or link regarding this.

• Luca MorelliLuca Morelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

create a registry key, register certificate are server operations: if i understood well these are not covered by .pubxml itself, but may be nice to have the opportunity to execute a custom powershell script in the server

• Sigurdur G. GunnarssonSigurdur G. Gunnarsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have not used .pubxml files no, so I have two questions:
        1) Can they be used to only create the package, not deploy it anywhere?
        2) As part of an automated build process (using /p:DeployOnBuild=true;DeployTarget=Package), how can I choose which .pubxml file to use?

Feedback and Knowledge Base