I suggest you ...

Make WebDeploy transactional

When deploying a site, the previous version should continue to run. If the deployment fails, the site should continue to run on the previous version. If it succeeds, the switch should happen after publication is complete.

466 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bertrand Le RoyBertrand Le Roy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • essamri b.essamri b. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I have seen some programs meeting my needs during 5 minutes and others not matching with my profile during hours. I was very happy in the begining to discover so many new Tools. I show them 5 minutes and didn't even have the opportunity to try them. In place of that, i was invited to click during 30 minutes to unstall the wifi or to fool in documents about me; when i finished to enter the informations, i discovered everything erased. i had to do it a second, a thirt time, till i refuse. What it the aim of all this type of work that are particularly time-consumming.

• Thibault NélisThibault Nélis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Nick Lechnowskyj: I think this is about recovering from problems that would happen during deployment itself, not problems in the application. Supposedly it would also be the answer to this question[1], although I kind of always hoped there were an answer to that already.

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/q/12312908/2266481

• Nick LechnowskyjNick Lechnowskyj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Bertrand, I disagree, It's not web deploys job to give you the ability to test the new version as a staged version before flipping some magical switch, that's what the test server is that you're deploying to is for.

• Bertrand Le RoyBertrand Le Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bonus points for:
        The ability to roll-back in case something is noticed wrong after the switch.
        The ability to test the new version as a staged version before flipping the switch manually.

Feedback and Knowledge Base