I suggest you ...

Report Viewer Helper for MVC

Please add a Report Viewer Control for MVC. Web Forms has one. Will not be able to completely move off of Web Forms until one is created.

140 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MikeMike shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Samuel JonesSamuel Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the HTML that results is primitive at best (uses tables for layout along with divs, other HTML4 tags) and unless you're prepared to use an iframe or other workaround (or Web Forms and a fair amount of custom code to tie the two together) you are stuck with a basic report that looks like it was developed back in 2005 (which is probably why Reporting Services still references 2005).
        As mentioned earlier, rendering to HTML also loses drilldown support, pagination (which can have performance implications if you have a multi-page report) and you lose much of the simplicity involved in using SSRS for reporting. I thought one of the ideas around MVC was convention over configuration? That principle should apply equally to ReportViewer instead of requiring custom code for MVC.

• Jose MarquesJose Marques commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with building a wrapper and rendering the report as HTML is that you will lose support for drilldown reports.

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to use MSQL 2012's entire stack to solve enterprise level needs while only using Microsoft software is my goals as a partner/consultant.

ALL business software needs to be able to produce reports and since I use SSRS for 100% of my reporting I would expect to be able to use Microsoft's latest development framework (MVC4) to consume these reports.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to update this. Could the report viewer be made to run in javascript? That would be the ultimate.

Feedback and Knowledge Base