I suggest you ...

Designer support for Razor pages

Razor based pages need a design surface in the same way as ASP.Net Forms pages or straight HTML. This should support dropping of controls onto the page, dragging of margins and padding, and all the other features we have normally in design view.

239 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ian HaynesIan Haynes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kat Lim RuizKat Lim Ruiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

no, leave it as no design. ASPNET Web Forms designer was awful and created a lot of waste and garbage tagging (<Font>!).

What you can have is a previewer embedded in Visual Studio, but not a designer.

• Siva KatirSiva Katir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While not fully what you're asking for you can use Browser Link (http://www.asp.net/visual-studio/overview/2013/using-browser-link) to change HTML and CSS from any browser's inspector.

I kind of hope that drop in controls never exist just because the HTML that they output has historically been worse then garbage. That said there are tools that do that such as DreamWeaver, but really, look at the code that it outputs. HTML isn't nearly as complex as say XAML to demand something like a WYSIWYG editor, IMHO.

• Graham O'RileyGraham O'Riley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the comments so far. The reason companies changed to asp.net was for the web design like features. Hand coding asp pages wasn't pleasant and nor is mvc razor views. The page inspector is a little help but you can't alter the html from within it? Strange!!

• Brian BakerBrian Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely some version of expression web that is integrated with visual studio is necessary so there is a design surface for MVC razor views. The current method of hand coding, compiling and previewing is an insane waste of productivity (from a design point of view) and removes the designers from working directly on a finished product. Is MS wants people to make great products with their software they are going to have to incorporate the design community in a greater role.

• RezaReza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Current implementation is very similar to the bad old days of Classic ASP; please change this

Feedback and Knowledge Base