I suggest you ...

Show me the parts of my .config files that I can delete

As projects grow and transition from greenfield to brownfield projects .config files are getting more and more obsolete and dead stuff in them.

Do help me and show me what I delete of this.

195 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    timstims shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • VicentVicent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A possible solution to this could be to show some sort of IntelliSense over the keys in the .config files, with info about it's functionality.

• Anthony Brian WallAnthony Brian Wall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could be implemented mostly in XSD by defining the defaults for each attribute/value then running an XSLT over it to remove entities which match the default and have minOccurs="0".

• Kenny ScelfoKenny Scelfo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps the items that have been baked into the machine config files for the framework that the project is currently using could be flagged as an alternative, until the editor has a way to know what items the code references. Flagged, not made to be an error, since we could be purposefully overriding some of those settings.

• Michael PatersonMichael Paterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The solution wouldn't necessarily have to be designer-centric. Even just a little utility that can read the config file inheritance tree and see what is in the web.config file that has the same "base" settings in machine.config/machine web.config....

Feedback and Knowledge Base