I suggest you ...

Support web.config transforms for development scenarios

Today web.config transforms are only applied during publish time. If you have web.release.config defined it will only transform web.config when your Web project is packaged/published.
It would be good to have a built in mechanism to transform web.config (and possibly other files) during development. For instance if you are building in Release mode and you start a debugging session you should be able to transform web.config in a similar (or exact) fashion as web.release.config is used during publish/package.

16 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sayed Ibrahim HashimiAdminSayed Ibrahim Hashimi (Admin, ASP.NET Future Feature Feedback) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Peter WonePeter Wone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea and as far as I can see requires very little. At the moment IISExpress is launched to serve the project folder. Instead, Release/Debug/other-build-name folders should be created according to the active build profile, and the project published to that folder, same as every other project type since the dawn of time, then IISExpress launched to serve that folder. The transform output won't clobber the original web.config and everything is sweetness and light.

Feedback and Knowledge Base