Feedback on ASP.NET Web API

Support OData changesets for batch/unit of work updating

When using REST services in smart clients or rich JavaScript clients, it is normal to cache changes on the client side and send multiple updates back as a batch. Being able to leverage the change sets support in OData for this would be great.

27 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brian NoyesBrian Noyes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John CrimJohn Crim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current batch support doesn't really handle changesets. The problem is that an odata changeset can handle a number of related modifications, which should all be applied before saving, and then the changeset should be committed once. The current web API odata implementation doesn't support that easily, though I think this requirement can be handled with a bit of work (I'm currently trying to make this work in ASP.NET Web API 5).

• Ward BellWard Bell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Saving a changeset is only part of it, perhaps the easiest part. More challenging is a great API for the developer to validate the changeset before letting it through. This is something we pay attention to in breezejs.

Feedback and Knowledge Base