How can we improve the www.asp.net website?

Kill the Ads

Ugly ads :)

314 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    CésarCésar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bart SipesBart Sipes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

www.asp.net is supposed to be the official website from Microsoft. Any other development support site I've seen from a major software company does not have ads. This cheapens the experience and makes it look like it's just some site that happens to talk about ASP.NET instead of the official site for it. Sure it's nice to make a buck where you can, but tell me, when was the last time you saw ads on developer.apple.com?

ASP.NET is a professional product. Make the supporting website look like a professional website.

• kristinakristina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thing cesar are talking about ugly ads not all kind of ads. I thing they are talking about hosting ads (I really not like all of them too as ceaser. they distract me to read from article). is someone have tried ads block tool. it's not available in all browser but work perfect for every site. it's also help you to save from distraction.

• tugberktugberk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most stupid idea ever! If you worry about ads along all the goodness, you have a problem. Unless they are pop-ups (in this case it is not), I really wonder how can an ad would bother a human being.

• Aykut UcarAykut Ucar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was like what ads when I saw these comments.
        Then I realized that I am using Ad Block Plus plugin for firefox.
        You should try it, you can also listen to Pandora without ad interruptions.

• ChuckChuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really??? When the ASP.NET site is as useful as Channel 9 or Coding for Fun, then spend time worrying about ads. We need converts! New people are more likely to end up at the asp.net site as opposed to finding channel 9. Hansleman PLEASE talk to these guys. #CartBeforeTheHorse

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Go to MS management and get them to drop these advertisements ASAP. You don't need this JOKE of a revenue source on this site and it undermines your credibility at a time you can least afford it. Fire all of the dated, lazy, isolated, and stupid VP's at Microsoft ASAP and move the young blood to the top.

• Jason GohJason Goh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am okay with ads on the page, but make it smaller will be nice or move to the left panel under announcement section. So there are more space to load more Daily Community Spotlight RSS Feed.

I have the same experiences like what happen to @rtpHarry. ;)

• Billy NguyenBilly Nguyen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ultimately, it is a site of many communities and forums of developers to share and collaborate among themselves with focuses on building websites and web applications that use latest MS technologies primarily, and others popular technologies such as JQuery... Underline communities and forums. The old site and new site UI however don't give me a sense of vibrant, live, and full of activities as the term communities and forums usually being associated with.

I see a dead page with pictures of 5 guys and many over-sized icons. I don't think screen estate is optimally utilized. This dumb page stares at me and it reminds me the early static HTML pages of the 90's. Go back to your drawing board and do it all over again. It cannot be the work of, God knows, many MS engineers want to showcase the wonders of MS breakthroughs! No wonder Apple is world’s best company and almost twice as big as MS, financially.

Simplicity does not mean nullity. I believe less is more in today’s development. Your old and new sites make me puke. I am a die-hard fan of MS. Look @ my email msnbilly@hotmail.com, but I must be frank because I do care and I know MS can do better. It’s not the MS technologies. It is lousy MS people with lousy visions and leaderships.

Billy Nguyen

• B FenskeB Fenske commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've never seen a user manual with ads. #1 way to reduce noise, clutter and confusion is to not have ads.

Also, above this comment it says "...or, sign in with <facebook>, <google>". This is a MS site! Why is the "Live" button hidden behind a dropdown!?

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Who cares about ads?" I don't so much care that they do have the ads, I just hate that they are so 2004 ugly and junk up what would other wise be a good looking site.

• rtpHarryrtpHarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cant believe this is the most voted item. Who cares about ads? Well a lot of you but I dont know why :)

I have found several new component suppliers through the ads over the years and they have never bothered me.

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you look at most open source frameworks/applications they don't have ads. I can't tell you how bad it looks in comparison. It's like entering a bazaar. Why would a newcomer take asp.net seriously?!

Feedback and Knowledge Base